Pastors of Grace Chapel Baptist Church: Mike Argabrite and Andy Smith

Pastors of Grace Chapel Baptist Church: Mike Argabrite and Andy Smith
This blog serves in an effort to elaborate on topics that we are studying. This is done with the purpose of provoking thoughtful discussion among the people of Grace Chapel as well as anybody who might stumble onto our blog page. The discussion can take place publicly on this blog or in private conversation.

Friday, September 11, 2009

The Apostle Peter's Last Will and Testament


I came across these words from the late Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones as I was preparing for our study of basic Christian doctrine beginning this Sunday for the adult Sunday School class. His words ring true for every believer- young and old. He is commenting on the passage below from 2 Peter.

2 Peter 3:14-18 (The last words Peter ever penned. He was martyred shortly after writing this.)

14Therefore, beloved, since you look for these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, spotless and blameless, 15and regard the patience of our Lord as salvation; just as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him, wrote to you, 16as also in all his letters, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction. 17You therefore, beloved, knowing this beforehand, be on your guard so that you are not carried away by the error of unprincipled men and fall from your own steadfastness,
18but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ To Him be the glory, both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.

“That is Peter’s way of saying that I am to grow in my understanding of the truth... It means that I should increase and grow in my knowledge concerning Him, in my knowledge of what He has done and of what He has brought to this world. As a Christian I am not to stop merely at a knowledge of forgiveness and a knowledge of salvation; I am to grow in my understanding and in my knowledge of the whole scheme and plan and purpose of salvation… So that I must busy myself with Christian doctrine. I must learn to understand the doctrine of God and His Being, the doctrine of the Trinity, the doctrine of man, the doctrine of sin, the doctrine of salvation, the doctrine of the ultimate and the last things. I must go into all these so that I may grasp the knowledge concerning the Lord Jesus Christ more and more” (Commentary on 2 Peter, 226-227).

No comments:

Post a Comment