Pastors of Grace Chapel Baptist Church: Mike Argabrite and Andy Smith

Pastors of Grace Chapel Baptist Church: Mike Argabrite and Andy Smith
This blog serves in an effort to elaborate on topics that we are studying. This is done with the purpose of provoking thoughtful discussion among the people of Grace Chapel as well as anybody who might stumble onto our blog page. The discussion can take place publicly on this blog or in private conversation.

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

External Awareness of God: His Creation


In the current series of posts, I have been suggesting that man knows God in two ways: through general and special revelation. I have decided that a good way to analyze general and special revelation is to look at three primary categories. These categories will define general and special revelation for us in some detail.


We are still looking at the first category: the witness of God's work. As I have already mentioned, this category deals with general revelation. God has revealed Himself to man in a general (or natural) way in His creation. This revelation occurs in two ways: creation and conscience. The previous posts have dealt with the conscience. And as I pointed out in those posts, the conscience is the internal awareness of God that all men without distinction possess. See previous posts for the discussion that pertains to this.


Today we want to begin looking at the external aspect of God's general revelation. If man's conscience serves as the internal mechanism to make man aware of God's existence, then creation serves as the external evidence that prompts the conscience to conclude that there is a God.


Now before I move any further, let me be clear about something that I cannot help but harp on. I have said over and over again that this basic, limited knowledge (also known as general revelation) does not lead to salvation! I know I have been clear about that, however I want to change my affirmation to the following: general revelation never leads to salvation. In other words, both the external and internal awareness of God's existence is a reality. Nevertheless man (because of sin) will never lay hold of this evidence in such a way that will lead to his or her salvation.


Calvin says the following:

"It is therefore in vain that so many burning lamps shine for us in the workmanship of the universe to show forth the glory of its Author. Although they bathe us wholly in their radiance, yet they can of themselves in no way lead us into the right path. Surely, they strike some sparks, but before their fuller light shines forth these are smothered".


Calvin is pointing out that God's creation, which is filled with every kind of burning lamp, shines forth the reality of God's existence. It points to an originator- a Creator. Nevertheless, these "burning lamps" never shine as bright as they could for the unregenerate, depraved sinner because he or she suffocates this light. When Calvin speaks of smothering this light it is clear that he is speaking about the "suppression of truth" that Paul spoke about in Romans 1, which we have already looked at. The truth of God's existence is suppressed and exchanged for a lie.


This is why I say that general revelation can never lead to salvation. By the way, this is why general revelation is inferior to special revelation to which we will speak about much later. Special revelation (God's Word) is like a voice. General revelation is an impression. In general revelation we "hear" God's voice faintly through His creation. Special revelation allows us to hear the very voice of God Himself.


But I am getting of subject. We are talking about general revelation. I must avoid the bunny trails and stay on course. When Paul tells us in Romans 1:19 that God is "clearly seen", he does not mean that this clarity of sight will bring us to a true, saving knowledge of God. Rather, it does the opposite. It does not lead to salvation; it leads to condemnation. Or, to put it in the words of Paul it leaves us "without excuse".


I suffer from a handicap. For all of you funny guys out there my handicap is not something visible to the naked eye. Ironically, however, it has to do with my eyes. I am color blind. I want to return to my illustration regarding my color blindness that I mentioned in a previous post. However, I want to alter the illustration a bit.


Let's say I go to the eye doctor and they administer a color blind test to me. The doctor holds open the color blind book and I pear into the psychedelic circles to see a number they claim is there. But I can't see the numbers. Consequently, I fail the test. Let's say the story does not end there though. After failing my color blind test, the doctor turns around and reaches into a special cabinet pulling out a new type of spectacles. She tries to convince me that if I wear these glasses then I will be able to see the numbers in the color blind book. She tells me that if I wear these glasses, then I will no longer be color blind. Let's say I am really stubborn- that is my spirit. I laugh at her and tell her she is crazy. No matter how much evidence she gives me to prove that they work, I still refuse to put them on. My wife begins to encourage me, but I am laughing so hard that I cannot even respond. I leave the doctor's office with my wife and am color blind forever.


Now let me ask some question that have obvious answers:

1) Does my refusal to wear the glasses so I can see the numbers inside the circles somehow make those numbers (that are really there) cease to exist simply because I can't see them?


2) Does the doctor, my wife, or the creator of the color blind test book get the blame for me failing to see the numbers?


3) Do I have the physical ability to put the glasses on?


The answer to the first two questions is no. The blame lies with me. Furthermore, it would be irrational to think that I make the numbers cease to exist simply because I cannot see them. Other people can see the numbers just fine. The answer to the last question, however, is yes.


You see, its not that I cannot physically put the glasses on; its that I willfully reject the offer to put them on, right?


This, I think, captures the distinction I am laboring to make. All men have the ability to observe the external awareness of God (His creation). All men have the ability to internalize this evidence (our conscience) to deduce that God exists. We are physically capable we could say. Here is the problem: because of our sin we will not capitalize, or take advantage of what we physical can do because we willfully refuse to. We can have the ability to do something without having the will to do something.


Back to my illustration- the only way I will see the numbers in the color blind test book is if I have "eyes of faith". If I trust the words of the doctor and put the glasses on, then I will be able to see the numbers everyone claims are there. Only God can give us eyes to see. Therefore, I conclude with Calvin, and more importantly with the Apostle Paul, that this base, limited knowledge of God that comes through general revelation only holds us accountable. It does not lead to salvation. It leads to culpability and condemnation.


Let me conclude this post with another quote from Calvin:

"The fact that men soon corrupt the seed of the knowledge of God, sown in their minds out of the wonderful workmanship of nature, must be imputed to their own failing."


Thankful That God Has Removed My Color Blindness to See the Bright Light of Jesus Christ,

AS

No comments:

Post a Comment