Pastors of Grace Chapel Baptist Church: Mike Argabrite and Andy Smith

Pastors of Grace Chapel Baptist Church: Mike Argabrite and Andy Smith
This blog serves in an effort to elaborate on topics that we are studying. This is done with the purpose of provoking thoughtful discussion among the people of Grace Chapel as well as anybody who might stumble onto our blog page. The discussion can take place publicly on this blog or in private conversation.

Monday, December 21, 2009

Favorite Books of '09 [For Those Who Might Care]

Any of you that keep up with the real bloggers of this world (unlike me) have noticed that many of them have recently listed their top 10 favorite books of 2009. My list will be different due to the fact that: a) I do not consider myself a great blogger, and b) do not try and read every new book that comes out each year. My philosophy has always been to try and read the classic works that still speak to us today. Therefore, I very rarely buy a book just because it is "new". I like new books because they help me stay in touch with current trends in the culture. I like older books because they help me see past cultural trends. And most of the time the past cultural trends of today are the same as yesterday. Its just that they reappear in different clothing. I just thought some people may be curious as to what I have been reading this past year, what I do all day, and what I think about. My reading list reveals this.

The following list is different in that it will include books that were not necessarily written in 2009. Rather, I have listed my favorite books that I read during the '09 year regardless of when they came into print. Some are from '09, some from 'o8, and others from the 80's (long time ago, I know)! I have also not included the commentaries that I have been reading for John and Colossians, though in all honesty, they have had the most impact upon me.

Here they are in order of most impactful ("1" being the most impactful):



10. Biblical Law and Ethics: Absolute and Covenantal, Gary D. Long
This is an excellent, scholarly work. Based upon sound exegesis, Long argues that Christ fulfilled every part of the Old Testament Scriptures. He thereby refutes Theonomy and traditional Reformed Theology in favor of Biblical, New Covenant Theology. A sure shot in the arm for New Covenant Theology.


9. John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine, and Doxology, Edited by Burk Parsons
This is the only biography included on my list. It is rich with essay analysis of the life of Calvin on the celebration of his 500th birthday. The essays are written by men including: Sinclair Ferguson, Steve Lawson, Phil Johnson, John MacArthur, Michal Horton, and Joel R. Beeke.


8. The Courage to be Protestant: Truth lovers, Marketers, and Emergents in the Postmodern World, David Wells
This book was written to oppose the "newer" versions of evangelicalism, which have almost taken meaning away from what the term "evangelical" means. Wells emphasizes the role that doctrine has played historically for evangelicals. It is a wake-up call to the church.

7. The Newness of the New Covenant, Blake White
The best short work on New Covenant Theology that I have read to date. White defines the fundamentals of NCT through right theology, Biblical exegesis, and clear thoughts.


6. Father, Son, Holy Spirit: Relationships, Roles, and Relevance, Bruce Ware
One of the clearest and practical books on the inner workings of the Trinity. I have re-read this book several times. I read it again this year as I worked through the book of Colossians and dealt with the husband and wife relations (Col. 3:18-19). Great book! Truly one of my favorite books of all time- had to include it some where on my list for '09.



5. Gospel Powered Parenting: How the Gospel Shapes and Transforms Parenting, William P. Farley
This book is about more than just parenting. It is about husband/wife relations, the church, and most importantly the Gospel. It shows that the Gospel affects even the day to day principles on how to raise children. It is an excellent work that has good questions at the end of each chapter for reflection. Would be a great Bible study for couples with kids still at home!
4. Christless Christianity, Michael Horton
Horton insightfully argues that the American church has been taken captive to the Americanized Babylonian tenets of consumerism, pragmatism, individualism, positive thinking, etc. He argues for the church to center its thoughts back upon the only important thing- the Gospel. The church is almost "Christless". I appreciate his candid remarks regarding some key prosperity gospel advocates. He shows great boldness in taking on the false teachers of today- revealing his faithfulness (unlike some preachers today).

3. The Law and Its Fulfillment, Tom Schreiner
This work is strong due to several factors. It is historical in that it traces the effect of the new perspective on Paul and shows how it has shaped various trends of Pauline theology. It is aggressively exegetical as well. Schreiner is a master of context and language. And finally, it is rooted in a theology that is overtly Christ-centered. I am sure that I will re-read this one.


2. Come to Me, Tom Wells
I was highly impacted by this book in my study of evangelism this past summer. Tom is great with words. This book teaches a robust Biblical approach on how to speak the Gospel in the power and love of the Spirit. Once again, Tom shows us that the greatest teachers of the world are those who can communicate deep concepts on a simple level.


1. The Jesus You Can't Ignore, John MacArthur
This book happens to be the latest of MacArthur's (2009). I do not think MacArthur's impact can be over estimated. Once again MacArthur captures a real picture of the Jesus of Scripture. Rather than being a pacifist, Jesus was bold (even hostile) to the religious leaders who propagated a false gospel. On the other hand, He was gentle to sinners who knew their sin well. MacArthur traces Christ's various exchanges with the religious leaders throughout His life to show us the real, bold, loving Jesus.

Special Honorable Mention: Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God, J.I. Packer
I must admit (very relunctantly) that I had yet to read this classic work on evangelism until this past year when I was preparing for a presentation on evangelism. We owe a debt of gratitude for the Biblical philosopy of evangelism that Packer promotes in his book.

Honorable Mention: Exposing Darwinism's Weakest Link: Why Evolution Can't Explain Human Existence, Kenneth Poppe
This book deserves some recognition. I picked it up for $4.95 on somewhat of a whim. It really has been helpful in my understanding of my wife's favorite subject in school (and my most hated)- science.

No comments:

Post a Comment