Pastors of Grace Chapel Baptist Church: Mike Argabrite and Andy Smith

Pastors of Grace Chapel Baptist Church: Mike Argabrite and Andy Smith
This blog serves in an effort to elaborate on topics that we are studying. This is done with the purpose of provoking thoughtful discussion among the people of Grace Chapel as well as anybody who might stumble onto our blog page. The discussion can take place publicly on this blog or in private conversation.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Current Reading List

Here is a current list of books that I am reading. I have suggested some of these to many of you already, so some of them will be of no surprise. I will reference a couple of these books in the weeks to come as I continue to preach through the book of Colossians. Others will probably be referenced to one degree or another at the next Reformed Men's Fellowship. I have tried to make it a goal that 50% of my overall reading consist of "cover to cover reading". These books, therefore, are those in which I slow down and take my time with. If any of them interest you let me know, and I will show you where to get them at a discount price.


I read this book a few years ago while taking the author’s class on systematic theology. I am currently re-reading it now. It perceptively deals with the practical implications regarding the doctrine of the Trinity. Dr. Ware is a humble, and Biblical theologian. You will hear more about this book later.

Good practical work on the “nitty gritty” of sharing the Gospel. It is written by a Reformed, Southern Baptist minister that pastors in Washington D.C. Dever also went to Southern seminary.



I am ashamed to say that I did not read this book until last week. It stands as the second best book on evangelism behind Tom Well’s work, Come to Me.



When I was at Southern I would go into the book store between classes and read selected chapters of this great work. My dad just purchased me a copy, so now I can read without “stealing”. It was authored by my former professor at Southern, Dr. Tom Nettles. The premise of the book lays down the historical foundation and legacy for Calvinism in the baptist heritage.




Began reading it several months ago, and just picked it up again with the intention of finishing it. It is an intriguing book, which deals with present day implications of the ancient heresy known as Gnosticism. I will mention more about this book at a later time.




If you are desiring a clear, Biblical argument for believer’s baptism, and a robust argument against infant baptism, then this is a must read. I read it several years ago, but my dad just purchased it for me, so I am going to read it again.




I am always referring to this classic work, but chose to read through it again from cover to cover. Calvin has influenced me much. His picture hangs in my study at home, and every Sunday morning before I preach he says to me very sternly, “Smith, you better get this message right.”

No comments:

Post a Comment